Tuesday 15 September 2009

Red Faced of Rochford

Sunday saw yet another excellent meeting at Marks Tey run on a similar track layout to the previous meeting. so lots of chances to give the bikes some welly. There being a smaller number of riders than our usual meetings meant a more relaxed atmosphere and a chance to make a few new acquaintances but the racing was still as fast and furious as ever.
The day started off with a solitary drive to the track as the GLW was elsewhere selling cakes so, in the absence of a working radio in the (T)rusty Transit I entertained myself my singing some 70's and 80's classics at the top of my voice. I did get some strange looks from passing motorists but they don't know me and I'll never see them again so who cares? Anonymity is definitely the way to go. Then again, I do have a striking (ok, strange) appearance and a surprising voice so perhaps I could win the next X Factor – it worked for that Scots woman!
Parked up in the pits, the bikes were unloaded and fiddled with before signing on and 'machine examination'. Both bikes passed with flying colours and as I was good and early I thought I'd walk the track. Now Marks Tey is notorious for being a bit dusty so the Pre65 Club invested in a huge water tank so the indefatigable Dave Godley can dump gallons of the stuff on the track. Dave had surpassed himself, the track was like ice to walk on with a slippery layer of mud on a hard packed base – what fun! Having congratulated myself on making a whole circuit without falling over it was time for a nice sit down before getting changed into my race gear.
Having only upset one passing lady with a view of my brilliant white legs, and remembering to check tyre pressures, (see, you can teach an old dog new tricks!) the BSA started and we were called forward to practice. As usual the sidecars were first out but even they were having difficulty on the slippery surface so it didn't bode well for the Clubman riders. Sure enough, the first bend proved all my fears to be entirely justified, the second bend reaffirmed those fears and the first jump very nearly required new underwear! Still I managed four laps without major mishap and seemed to be having no more problems than the riders around me – “the track would improve as the day went on” I kept telling myself.
A quick plug check and it was time for the first race. Still very slippery but at least the majority of riders took it fairly sensibly on the first bend and I think most of us made it to the next bend at least! The field settled down with the young hot-heads (who shouldn't really be in the Clubman class) disappearing at the front while the rest of us enjoyed dicing with riders of broadly similar skill. Four laps and a big grin at the end – what fun indeed! Turns out one of the chaps I was dicing with was next to me in the pits so extra pressure to do better next time.
Race two saw a better start but somehow I managed to end up amongst the same riders again! The track was starting to dry so at least there was grip in places and we were all really starting to enjoy it. Speeds increased and multiple lines were starting to appear making overtaking less of a 'shut your eyes and hope' affair and I was generally pleased both with my and the BSA's performance. Back to the pits, another check of the spark plug and a bit more air in the tires, and I strolled off to take some photos. Isn't it funny how some people can't resist playing to the camera, Greg?
As I returned to get ready for my next race I was accosted by two gentlemen who appeared perfectly normal, indeed they had children in tow and there were no obvious signs of heavy medication. “Are you the Shiny Stormer?” and of them asked, “we read your blog”. Bugger, my cover is blown! Red Face Number One! It turns out they were thoroughly decent chaps, with a strange taste in reading material, who were keen to get into the sport. I had to excuse myself to go and race but promised to have a chat when I got back. Worryingly, they said they were looking forward to seeing me race – that was the kiss of death!
The third race saw me actually make the start and survive the first bend and was running in the front half of the field! I even managed to overtake someone so I was moving forward!! I actually took off over the last jump onto the finish straight I was going so well!!! The BSA roared forward as I grabbed top gear and accelerated over the tricky dip!!!! Then it all went horribly wrong – the gear box locked solid and I slid to a halt, somehow staying upright. My eternal thanks to all the riders that managed to avoid me - at least at my size I'm easy to see! End of play for the BSA, BIG time. It's a long push back from the far side of the track (Red Face Number Two!) and I wasn't in the best of moods as I was already working out the cost. My next door neighbour congratulated me on my fifty yard slide which at least put a positive note on it all.
My two new chums spent half an hour or so asking questions about the Club, bikes, rules, and how to go about getting involved in the sport and despite everything I said were still very positive. I suspect we'll be seeing another couple of riders on the line next season with one of them possibly joining the ranks of Stormer riders although the other was hankering after exotic European rubbish. Buy British should be our motto, even if it's not the best!
The next race I took the Shiny Stormer out and despite a decent start I just couldn't get the power down early enough in the corners to progress forwards, still I had an enjoyable scrap with the usual suspects but this time ended up at the back of the bunch. As I didn't need to do anything to the SS apart from adjust the tyre pressures, I packed the BSA into the van before bidding farewell to John as he set off back to Dorset, then going to watch a couple of races. An interesting observation I made was that the noise of a Norton Wasp on full chat can easily be drowned out by the noise from the driver's mother standing 25 yards away!
Last race and a chance to prove the SS's worth. Half decent start and reasonably positioned approaching the first jump, managed to miss a gear and people started coming past. Trying a bit too hard I lost control going up the side of the big jump and lost a few more places, plus took a bit of a bang against the tank (Red Face Number Three - my old rugby master, if ever we suffered a knock to the same area always bellowed “Don't rub 'em boy, count 'em!” as we writhed in agony on the ground) meant a half lap at much reduced speed before being able to returning to 'racing' speed. Not my best performance, but everything relatively ok.
The final sidecar race saw a maiden win for Terry Bacon and Spike Nunn on tricycle No. 146. I don't think I've ever seen two happier chaps than when they returned to the pits. Well done to them. The final race of the day had to be curtailed after an unfortunate accident but apart from that the day went without major incident and most people seemed to have a good time, I certainly did.
Next meeting is at East Hanningfield on 4th October - will the BSA be ready? Will I manage to get rid of the pain but keep the swelling? Will the SS be promoted to Number 1 bike and be used for all five races? Who knows? Who cares?
Keep smiling

No comments: