Wednesday 9 September 2009

The Shiny Stormer Lives!

With the GLW out of the house for most of the day, now was the chance to try and find out why the Shiny Stormer had a case of the terminal sulks at the last meeting and refused to start. At Maylandsea I had done all the usual checks; plug, points, HT lead, connections, kill switch but there was no sign of electrical life.

Call me old-fashioned but I am reticent to start delving into the engine in the middle of a field where you are guaranteed to lose those vital nuts and bolts in the long grass so the bike was consigned to the van. I have watched people stripping engines down to the crank at some meetings - I'm guessing they've got magnetic hands and highly developed eyesight - but anything requiring the splitting of engine cases is, to my mind, better undertaken in the comfort (and privacy!) of one's own back garden.

So, handlebars attached, remove the spark plug and give it a kick to see if there is any life (all motorcyclists believe in miracles -it might have fixed itself!). After three or four kicks I could hear the faint crack of a spark so YES, miracles do happen! Off with the inspection cover and a quick ferret around the points and I noticed a bit of wetness - out with a clean cloth and a good wipe round followed by a cleaning and resetting of the points and hey presto, a bit fat spark at the points and the spark plug. Replace the spark plug and the engine started third kick (sorry to any of the neighbours that were having a siesta), yet another successful mechanical foray.
I can only assume that the Shiny Stormer enjoyed the camping and early morning start as much as I did and succumbed to condensation. Perhaps it was the Shiny Stormer's way of telling me not to camp.


Never.


Ever.


Don't even think about it.


Burn the tent.


Perhaps I should listen to the Higher Being that is the Shiny Stormer.


Next race is on Sunday 13/09 at Marks Tey and no, I'm not camping! In a vain hope of currying favour with SS, I've published a picture of 'man and machine in perfect harmony' from a previous Marks Tey meeting. If that doesn't work then perhaps I'll have to find a virgin to sacrifice!

No comments: